Thursday, January 16, 2014

Onion picking with Michael Jackson

This post is not chronological but it is my story and this how I will tell it.
It was in Bettendorf Iowa near the banks of the Mississippi river where there are these onion farms. It interested me so one day I went to see what it was about. I leaded to cut the tassels off the onions, but it wasn't that simple, you where bent over all day and it was 45 cents per bushel. I would go there for two or three summers and pick onions until I had $5 than go to the movies.
Now that does not sound like much but remember this was during the 80's and a movie was $2 back then.
To the title that caught your eye to look at this post. Well, before moving to Bettendorf, I had a friend name Benny and he was a Michael Jackson impersonator and one year he came with me to the onion fields. We worked all day for a week and at the end of the week we where the two guys who dumped them in this big wagon that sort them. The thing to know about onions they grown in this rich black dirt and at the end of the day you find dirt in crevasse of the body that would astound you.

No comments:

Post a Comment